100% Maguey Madrecuixe
Del Maguey brings you a special limited edition from our Vino De Mezcal™ series made in lush, remote San Luis del Rio, Oaxaca where the Red Ant river flows.
Madrecuixe is a wild tall cylindrical maguey like Tobasiche with leaves that grow from the ground up as opposed to Tobasiche that sheds its lower leaves as it grows leaving a bare dry cylindrical piña. These mature Madrecuixes have been earth-roasted, fermented with airborne microbes, twice distilled, unblended the original, centuries-old Oaxacan, hand-crafted way.
Banana leaf, green papaya, just-mown alfalfa, tarragon and fresh cut bamboo, give way to circus peanuts and sweet, fresh-forward tropical fruits of mango, pineapple and chicozapote. This extremely rare wild mezcal is silky, elegant, medium-bodied, with a long, dry, clean, dusty finish.
- Village: San Luis Del Rio
- Palenquero: Paciano Cruz Nolasco, Marcos Cruz Mendez
- State: Oaxaca
- Region: Valles Centrales
- Maguey: Madrecuixe
- Agave Species: A. karwinskii
- Age of Maguey: 10-15 years
- Elevation: 900 M (2952 feet)
- Roast Duration: 3-8 days
- Type of Wood: Quebrachi, Huamuchil
- Milling: Molino, Electric
- Size of Tinas: 1400 L
- Fermentation Duration: 6-8 days
- Water Source: Río Hormiga Colorada
- Still Type: Copper
- Still Size: 350 L
- ABV of Mezcal: 47%